The Jamaica 4-H Clubs was established on April 1, 1940 as the juvenile arm of the Jamaica Agricultural Society, and was patterned off the 4-H clubs in the United States of America. The Juvenile Branches first started in the parish of Clarendon, then spread islandwide.
The Jamaica 4-H Clubs is governed by the Jamaica 4-H Clubs Act (1966), which also states guidelines for its Board of Directors, and the Jamaica 4-H Clubs Regulations (1972), which outlines the guidelines for the Island Advisory Council (IAC) and the Parish Advisory Councils (PAC).
The organization, which is a statutory body under the Ministry of Agriculture, is headed by an Executive Director, who reports to the Board of Directors and by extension the Minister of Agriculture.
The Jamaica 4H Clubs mobilizes, educates and train young people between the ages of 9 and 25 years in agricultural, homemaking, leadership and social skills, which will prepare them for, or influence them into careers in agriculture and agro-related occupations. The organization seeks to develop a cadre of trained young leaders, capable of contributing to national development.